Tuesday, August 23, 2005

DJ Superhighway

On Sunday morning I woke up and walked into my kitchen. Curled up asleep on my couch was Robb Green, a DJ I met years ago after playing at Hoyt's Pub in Queen Anne with Sensory Effect. We'd been trying to connect before his move to San Francisco at the end of the week, and my living room on a sleepy Sunday morning is as good a place as any. We chatted in the kitchen with Masil Q. and Pink as I cooked up some breakfast burritos and Robb retraced his going away extravaganza, which started last week and looks like it will continue into October. "It's wierd", he said "I've been running into people on the street that I haven't seen in years. And they're like, 'what's up?' and I'm like, "I'm moving to San Francisco!". He's set on a place, a job, and already a DJ gig there and in Portland on the way.

"I gotta show you this track", he said, and headed back to the living room. "But first, did you ever notice how INXS's Kick mixes straight out of this
Metro Area?" For the next few hours, Rob Green went off, playing one of the smoothest sets to emerge from the Leschi Lounge. Part rock, part punk, all dance. Punk Rock Disco, an obvious genre to be spawned from a city of Grunge forced by a 'no dance ordinance' to find refuge at Raves. And Rob Green was on it. Tight.

All bubbly on burritos and bop, we started on a trek to a quaint beach down by Seward Park to Mimosas & BBQ promised to us night before. Unfortunately, we'd completely underestimated the length of the Lake Washington and Rob, a club kid, was not wearning comfy raver shoes. Masil Q. spouted, "These better be some gawddam good Mimosa's!."

After a call to Sokolicky and refreshing stop at the Ice Cream man, we were saved just in time to take a right on 50th and 'so long' to the sparkling blue smile of Lake Washington. We chilled on the beach for a while and napped in the sun until Rob jumped up, "I have to get to a radio show at 6!" Packing up the punch, we headed to the car and taxied Rob to hand off to his next gig, a BBQ and beats party for Remote Control Radio that airs every Sunday on Oseao.com. "After the set this morning, I'm all warmed up," he said, and Punk Rock Disco made its way into airwaves history.

Stay
tuned for Robb Green on Remote Control Radio, brought to you by Shameless and Oseao.com.

See Rob Green at
Delerium in San Francisco on Sept. 10th and in Seattle at the Decibel Festival Sept 22-25.