Sunday, December 19, 2004

3 friends, 2 Gemini belt drives, and bottles of Fat Tire

I started DJ’ing because of two very special people that came into my life, Ben Watt & Karen Nalls. Karen has two nicknames, Big Mama and Hotchic. I met Hotchic on Memorial Weekend of 2000 in line to Flammable at Rebar, or as Karen called it, Church. I had no idea of the significance of the night, this event, or this woman. This moment completely changed my life.

There was a huge line to get into the Rebar on Memorial Weekend, partly because Monday was a holiday and partly because Flammable is really good shit. My girlfriend and I (who later became actual girlfriend for a lovely while) decided we were not patient enough to stand outside forever, so why not start talking to the hottest girl in line and get in sooner? Enter Hotchic.

Hotchic and I became very good friends. She introduced me to, not only to the pleasures of making out at the Rose, but also to this fantastic state of mind we call House.

One Wednesday night, many moons later, Karen took me to I-Spy to see the second very special person in my life, Ben Watt. Everything But the Girl is and probably always will be who I consider to be my favorite band. Not because I necessarily connect to all of their music (like the early stuff), but because I love their sincerity, passion, talent and the way they respect music and encourage change. It was Ben & Jay’s first Lazy Dog tour and my first memorable experience with House. The music was so real and simple and fun. It just made me happy. Everyone was just happy. Dancing for the sake of dancing, smiling, rejoicing and sharing joy.

Hotchic was learning how to be a DJ at that time. She had been given an old set of Gemini belt-driven turntables from Jay aka ‘Grandpa DJ’. Karen invited myself and two friends Kevin (Evil Genius) and Mitch (Bishop) to come over on Thursdays for some ‘spinning sessions’. We all piled into her small studio apartment in Capital Hill with bottles of Fat Tire and Big Mama teachin’ us the gospel. Hallelujah! Spin Session was born.

Spin Session went on every Thursday for a solid 2 ½ years. Eventually we invested in better equipment, invited more friends to bring records, moved the congregation from house to house, expanded genres and eventually started putting on our own parties. Soon after, we were asked to play at other people’s parties. So much so that Spin Session was no longer actually needed and the Thursday night get-together eventually disbanded. But Spin Session still lives inside each and every one of us. It breathes each and every time we get behind the decks, sing into a microphone, hold our hands up high to another DJ who inspired us during those days dedicated to our initial learning. If Sunday nights at Rebar was Church, then Spin Session was our school house. And every once in a while the Session Crew, both new and old, bring our beats together for a little reunion.